Frequently Asked Questions: here you’ll find answers to the questions we get asked the most about applying for our programme.
dok.incubator is an international documentary rough cut workshop for editors, directors and producers. The workshop provides 6 months of individual tutoring by world class editors, producers, marketing experts and distributors.
- A forum of 25 internationally-active professionals who work on dramaturgy, distribution strategy and marketing throughout the whole postproduction phase of your film (end of April – September)
- An inspiration for your storytelling gained from a group of tutors and participants from Europe and other countries around the world
- A deep knowledge of the current film market and sophisticated knowledge of how to build a tailor-made distribution strategy
- New tools to target and attract wider audience, internationally
Eight creative teams (producer + director + editor) of feature-length documentary projects are selected. The teams are invited to three intensive week-long workshops, however they work continuously, under the supervision of their mentors for the whole 6 months.
1st Session: April/May – Slovakia
Each project gets feedback on the dramaturgy of the rough cut from the whole group of participants and tutors. The projects are selected by the editing mentors to work together on the film’s storytelling, the topic, and character building throughout whole the course. The participating producers discuss the film’s distribution potential and develop the first draft of the international strategy. The whole team participates in the audience targeting.
2nd Session: June – Czech Republic
Editing mentors work with the participants during the summer to finalize the narrative structure of the films. At the 2nd session, a test screening occurs and decision makers give filmmakers feedback from the distribution point of view. Internationally established sales agents, festival representatives and broadcasters help the participants with designing detailed distribution strategies, films’ positioning and specific marketing materials (stills, poster, texts, trailers).
3rd Session: September (Nordisk Panorama) – Sweden
The participants introduce their projects to key European broadcasters, sales agents, and festival selectors at an exclusive presentation of upcoming films: the dok.incubator preview at Nordisk Panorama. After 4 days of trailer editing and individual pitching training, the informal pitching takes place and the participants have the opportunity to meet individually with the invited guests to gain presales, sales and festival offers for the film and to build an own network of contacts in the business. After the presentation, they share the offers and the next steps to take with their distribution tutors.
Please, note the TIMELINE of your editing work:
- Between the 1st and the 2nd workshop (end of April – June), please, book your editor’s time for 4 – 6 weeks (Two weeks before each workshop we ask you to upload the new version of your cut for our tutors to watch.)
- Between the 2nd and 3rd workshop (July – early September) you’re finishing the cut, editing the trailer and preparing the distribution/marketing package
- All three members of the team (producer – director – editor) attend the complete week-long programme of the 3 workshops